What is an LISW-S?
In Ohio, Licensed Independent Social Workers with Supervision Designation (LISW-S) meet these requirements:
- Two full years and 3,000 hours of work experience under the supervision of another LISW-S
- Pass an exam
- One year post licensure experience as an LISW
- Obtain 30 board-approved continuing education credit hours
What is an LCSW-C?
In Maryland, Licensed Certified Social Worker-Clinical (LCSW-C) professionals (by endorsement) meet these requirements:
- After practicing social work at an advanced clinical licensure level for at least 5 years out of the past 10 years
- Pass an exam
- Obtain 40 board-approved continuing education credit hours
What is an ACSW?
The Academy of Certified Social Workers was established in 1960 and remains the most widely recognized and respected social work credential. Social workers who hold the ACSW are qualified providers of social services and meet the following requirements:
- Current NASW membership
- Master’s degree in social work from a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- Two years of postgraduate social work employment and professional supervision by an MSW credentialed supervisor
- Professional evaluations that validate their knowledge, understanding, and application of social work principles and values from an MSW supervisor and two social work colleagues
- 20 hours of relevant continuing education, and
- Adhere to the NASW Code of Ethics and NASW Standards for Continuing Professional Education, and are subject to the NASW adjudication process
Sources: Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, Marriage and Family Therapist Board; Maryland Board of Social Work Examines; National Association of Social Workers
Rita Abdallah is a nationally renowned speaker in the fields of cancer wellness and self-care.
She holds a Master’s degree in social work from the University of Connecticut School of Social Work and an undergraduate degree from John Carroll University.
She is an Ohio-Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW-S) and member of the Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW).