Background & Description
The Arab and Arab-American heritage is very rich and full and the veil is symbolic of both Islam and Christianity.
Both religions, and the multitude of cultures that it encompasses, have been severely impacted for the last decade.
This seminar will provide: background and history about the community, past and present impressions of mental health treatment, and cultural sensitivities within the respective religions.
- Discuss history of immigration in Arab and Arab-American communities
- Distinguish values and norms between Arab and Western Cultures
- Discuss severe stigma and possible trauma associated with seeing any psychological professional
- Discuss today’s mental health climate
- iscuss sensitive considerations when treating this population
1 Free CEU for Ohio NASW Members
Presenters are Rita Abdallah and Lana Amawi